PSP Background successfully replaced

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

DrEggman

PSP Background successfully replaced

Post by DrEggman »

With the help from Vampire, we ripped the BMP from one month on the firmware and replaced another. We replaced December's red background with a blue one and set the clock to 12/31/2005 11:55PM just in case it didnt work. The PSP boots up and expects red, so it fades to red after the intro, but then fades to the blue background we put in. Its very pretty. I made a video showing the bootup sequence.

http://www.moshimoshineko.com/psp/PSPBG.wmv
ice-master

Post by ice-master »

This rocks :), should you explain how to do ?
Squall333

Post by Squall333 »

Am i wrong or did klimru just do this like yesterday?
Drakonite
Site Admin

Post by Drakonite »

klimru did it yesterday, nem did it weeks ago, and a few others did it in between.
Shoot Pixels Not People!
Makeshift Development
Soir

Post by Soir »

DrEggman:

Great work!

I have a question that I hope you can answer.
Are you or have you thought of making some sort of program that you can run on the PSP to change the background?
jamima69

Post by jamima69 »

yep-at least some of us would really appreciate it if someone could throw together an app or at least post a tut for this...
Cpasjuste

Post by Cpasjuste »

Yes we want the code :p
CoreCZ

Post by CoreCZ »

very interested indeed on how you are able to replace the bmp's but I have read that they get stretched? We need to bypass that?
Phantom8

Post by Phantom8 »

I haven't done it yet, but I guess below is the easiest way to do it.

1) Write a small program to dump the lfash: block device to MS.
2) The dumped image consists of flash0 & flash1 VFAT file systems, plus other partitions. Move the dumped image to a PC and use a hex editor to locate the postion of 1 of the 12 bitmap files you want to replace. To locate the bitmap file, you need to understand the VFAT file system structure in order to locate the file postion. Or you can simply scan the dumped image for occurrance of the bitmap content. Mark down the offset of the bitmap file.
3) Write another small program and open lfash for RDWR, lseek to the offset from step 2. Write whatever image you want to that location. The size of of bitmap file should be 6176.

If you screw up the location of the bitmap file & overwrite other part of flash, you'll definitely brick your PSP.
Agoln

Post by Agoln »

Phantom8 wrote:If you screw up the location of the bitmap file & overwrite other part of flash, you'll definitely brick your PSP.
And hope to GOD that you dont have a case of the monday's!!!
karmafeed

Re: PSP Background successfully replaced

Post by karmafeed »

Are you the same Dr. Eggman who made that Gamecube modding tutorial a few years ago? I just did that mod on my GC last weekend. It was tough to find the tutorial though.

Post by Guest »

And definitely caution is in order here.

People might be rushing to make applications to change the PSP internal flash. While cool things can be done, the risk of bricking is high. If people simply *must* write such apps, I strongly encourage folx to do an expanded testing of the app within the circle of acquaintances who trust you just to *make sure*.

Even then, putting strong cautions in the documentation are in order, and many "Are you sure???'s"